



Ithaca College Student Governance Council Meeting Agenda
Monday, 11/13/2023| 7:00 P.M. in Campus Center Taughannock Falls Room

Call to Order: 7:01 PM

Roll Call: Carli McConnell, Rishabh Sen, Quinn Tufino, Noah Strathman, Caleb Cackowski, Eleanor Paterson, Olivia Jones, Muhammad Arshad, Asata Rothblatt, Ava Casell-Lapentina, Eva Horst, Utkarsh Maini, Nikki Sutura, Noah Kamens, Noah Richardson. Ty Anderson, Alexa Rahman, Cameron Small, Baneet Pukhrambam.

Approval of the Minutes: Nikki motions to approve minutes from 10-23-23, Asata seconds the motion, motion passes 11-0-0.

Nikki motions to approve minutes from 11-06-23, Baneet seconds the motion, motion passes 11-0-0.

New Business

- **Community Session**
- **Guest Speaker**
 - Ithaca College President La Jerne Terry Cornish

Question and Answers:

Noah Kamens: I want to thank you for the emails you have sent out regarding tragedy and other things going on. So thank you.

Rishabh: I have heard from students about class sessions and timing. Concerns regarding a growth in the number of classes that are doing the 3-4:15 classes instead of the 50-minute blocks. As well as mandating class times.

President Cornish: I will speak with the Provost. For professors to set their own times I am not sure that is our policy. I will take that to the Provost and the Dean.

Eleanor: In terms of budgeting the things such as signs and the new field. We would love to hear about how funding is invested in us as students.

President Cornish: This beautiful sign was donated by a family. With regard to the field, it was also a gift from a donor.

Rishabh: I wanted to touch base on the idea of getting access to prescriptions on campus. Especially for those that do not have cars on campus that need to pick up prescriptions. Do you have an update on this?

President Cornish: I will put this on my list to ask about. I believe there is negotiation and logistics being discussed with Wegmans.

Noah Kamens: There are some students concerned about the outdoor track being removed. Will there be a track put in place for these students?

President Cornish: We have gotten a donation and we are striving to build a track.

Caleb: Recently I found that IC used to have an archivist who worked in the library but they retired. I was wondering if I can read or manage these things or if there needs to be a committee.

President Cornish: I know we need a new archivist. I will look into when that search is scheduled. Thank you.

Noah R: How are the plans going for transportation next semester with the T Cat?

President Cornish: We have seen ridership is up therefore we are trying to find an answer whether it's paying half the amount normally per ride or being free for the spring semester.

Lili: My question is, is there anything you are excited about coming up?

President Cornish: I am excited about the Career Center gaining advisors, as well as the equity and inclusion.

Asata: Thank you for coming, I know there have been some concerns among students with the cohesiveness of facilities. For example washers and dryers. Things not in their control that students think are.

President Cornish: So more clarity for who to go to and for what. I will ask Tim.

Rishabh: Could you tell us a little more about the Campus Climate Survey and the timeline of this?

President Cornish: We pushed the date back because we need more information. We have more responses from staff than students at this point. In an ideal world we would do a survey every three years. In order to see how much we have improved and how

responsive we have been. Because we have programs that are 4-6 years this will help us gain insight into what you need from us on a daily.

Asata: Is there an outside company for the washer and dryers and can we change that to internal?

Presidential Cornish: I am not sure if we have people who can or have the ability to do that. I will ask that.

Nikki: In the afternoon around 1 PM and dropped posters. Are you aware of this?

President Cornish: This is not the first time I've seen this. It saddens me to read it and saddens me to hear it. This is not the Ithaca College that I know. I am sorry that this is what somebody claims is their experience here. I wish someone would come forward.

Baneet: I wanted to add these posters were put up on benches and walls along with something about ID office and charging for replacement IDs.

Rishabh: Point of information. They are really against Ithaca College for getting their ID charges when their ID card is lost. This particular student has lost their ID many times and is upset about paying for the ID cards. To my knowledge, they live off campus.

Muhammad: Statements about professors that are given at the end of the semester seem to not be taken into consideration.

President Cornish: Most of the time students' responses differ. The Provost is working in uniformity in student statements because they do matter.

Noah R: I was wondering in regards to this poster. How can we get our constituency to participate in these climate surveys? I think an issue we see a lot at IC is complaints but not action. We need students to be part of the change in order for change to occur.

President Cornish: If you are around campus tomorrow just open your computer and tell others to do the survey it takes only twenty minutes. How many of you have completed it? Wow, thank you. I encourage you to encourage your peers.

Ty: I think having Professors encourage students and putting time in class would be helpful.

President Cornish: As The President who encourages academic freedom. I can not enforce this but I do appreciate whoever did this and would send them an email thanking them.

Eleanor: We were actually supposed to have another guest speaker in the BIPOC Center. We heard she is no longer here. We are wondering if there will be someone else coming in.

President Cornish: For now we have the Dean of Students to help out with this.

Asata: A few of us Senators are meeting together to talk about accessibility on campus. Is there anything you want to talk about with accessibility on campus?

President Cornish: We do not have a center for accessibility and we have identified that there is a gap that we want to fill.

Noah R: How did you like CORTACA?

President Cornish: Can I just say I am so proud? It was a beautiful day. People were respectful. I did fall down. Lesson learned do not stand on bleachers. President down. Down I went. I thought it was wonderful! Cortland behaved beautifully we behaved beautifully. Also, The volleyball finals were that evening and they won the Liberty Leagues. It was a great day!

Noah K: Speaking of members who have left the community. Is there a search for religious and spiritual life?

President Cornish: Absolutely we know we need a director and are looking into it.

Nikki: Is there anything you want student input on?

President Cornish: Carli and I had a meeting about kickstarting sustainability on campus. We are a green campus but we want to reengage students. We want to create a back map and map out what we will do in the next 27 years. I want to be more intentional about sustainability. We need student voice input and participation here.

Carli: I wanted to ask more of an opinion-based thing. What is your opinion on how we as student leaders can be there for those who are lacking a bigger person in their life like a director of these services?

President Cornish: Ask if they are okay. Ask how they are and be a friend. At the end of the day, that is what this really is about.

Rishabh: I had a small idea about accessibility. There was someone last year that had the ability to check buildings for accessibility in residential halls. I believe it was a course or something. Could this be taken by more people?

President Cornish: I will take this to.....

Asata: I was wondering what the process of hiring new professors is like?

President Cornish: The teaching resources allocation committee does their work and then we approve faculty members. We are hiring again and it feels good. There is a process. People know it and follow it.

Ty: I wanted to ask about the swimming pool by the FITT. If there is ideas or plans for it. Or if you are open to ideas.

President Cornish: I have some ideas. I would love to find a donor that will repair this pool. I am actively looking for a donor. Do you have an idea?

Ty: I was thinking we could get a sauna connected to the gym instead of a pool.

President Cornish: That's a big sauna! I will write that down.

Nikki: If we do not find a donor for the pool. Another idea we can do is turn it into a skate park. This could be a good resource for students wanting to skateboard.

Lili: How do you feel about an ice skating rink?

President Cornish: I would love it but no I don't think it could work with the plumbing in the fountains.

Noah K: I have seen posters on campus that are looking to start a skating club. If we are trying to reach a new student group this would be good.

Nikki: One thing I have heard students talk about is worry or anxiety about the number of CAPS counselors on campus. For the size of our campus, I feel like we need more. I was wondering if there is a search or possibilities in more counselors.

President Cornish: We need to find them. There is not many in this area. We have a protocol. We need service in not just IC but there is another college that needs support to.

Lili: Is there any plans to expand business hours or long-term solutions for mental health care. Students when they go to CAPS the meetings are inconsistent and short. But the problems aren't important enough to be addressed by CAPS. Is there more consistent solutions and not crisis solution?

President Cornish: This talk is also going on outside of campus. We need more resources in the county as a whole. There is a hope that there will be more in the next 6 months. It's a county problem.

Rishabh: Last week we had parking come in to speak. We were talking about transportation downtown for students who don't have cars on campus. Is there a shuttle service option?

President Cornish: I would make a friend with a car. But I will continue asking about shuttle experiences.

Utkarsh: It's also international students as well.

Lili: As a first-year student that was out of state. I made friends with people with cars. But it is not sustainable to rely on a bus. It is exhausting and makes it hard to explore Ithaca. This year I have a car and I have found my time here more enjoyable. The isolation aspect can create a lot of transportation and financial issues.

President Cornish: How much does it cost?

Lili: \$500 for first years.

President Cornish: Why might we want students to stay around on campus? We want our students to get to know this place.

Joslyn: A possible waiver for parking permits based on medical needs and employment needs for a car on campus.

President Cornish: I will take this to the people who make that decision. I would like to think we could make accommodations as needed.

Noah K: I know Ubers are not very prevalent in the areas. Would it be possible to make like an Uber Ithaca job? Where students on campus can drive those students around. Is this something that can happen?

President Cornish: The insurance is unbelievable. It is expensive. I don't think students would pay that charge.

Asata: Last meeting we talked about the possibility of shuttling by staff. I know there is legal things but will signing a permission thing help this?

President Cornish: I am not sure about this.

Carli: I was wondering if electrical cars on campus if their prices can be reduced on campus to encourage the use of these cars and a more sustainable campus.

President Cornish: I will look into that.

Joslyn: How accessible is the emergency relief fund?

President Cornish: Anyone can apply for this fund.

Ty: The lighting in Teraces is scary and dark. Could we improve this?

President Cornish: I will let Tim know.

Noah R: I was wondering if you can shed some light on the diversity progress.

President Cornish: I would say the struggle is real. I am the only person of color on the cabinet. There is a search. But I need you to know that diversity is top of mind. I look around a room and I see it. All we can do is try. I am asking folks to bring me a diverse pool of applicants.

Eleanor: Is IC rise up still in contact with you guys?

President Cornish: Luke and Emily have tried to take their concerns into consideration. The Center for Equity Inclusive and Belongings was made because of this community.

Noah R: There was a post put up last night.

Lili: How has it been with the student who has your parking space?

President Cornish: I am lucky to have two spots. So it's okay. I am fine with the student having my space.

President Cornish: Thank you so much for having me.

7 MINUTE BREAK

- **Confirmations**

- **Miscellaneous**

Continuing Business

- Miscellaneous
- Senator Reports: Noah, Baneet, Utkarsh

Baneet: In terms of trying to get the language around the definition of first-generation changed at IC. I had a meeting regarding this and how we can go about it.

Noah K: We had two new clubs try to become new sports clubs. I don't think they will become clubs. There are some hurdles they would have to go through. I also have a meeting tomorrow about club sports and giving day.

Utkarsh: Met with the Dean of Business School talking about first years and all students and the business curriculum. As well as a representative in SGC for religious and spiritual life support.

Officer Reports

- President of the Student Body
 - We had our first climate action meeting on Wednesday we covered our basis. Scott talked a lot about what he had told us previously. I brought up sustainability knowledge to those who are in majors that don't necessarily have it in their curriculum. The voter registration Committee is looking for members. I have another meeting with Cornish. Also, the lack of tutors and problems regarding this is being worked on.
- Vice President of Campus Affairs
 - I wanted to talk about Carli's point. The Social Justice and Sustainability chair is open still. Check out the SGC room open to all of you 9-5. I am also meeting with parking. I am helping with the search for SACL vice president.
- Vice President of Academic Affairs
 -

- Vice President of Business & Finance
 - There were three budgets in the last meeting.
- Vice President of Communications
 - I heard the event on Saturday went great. I am looking for more engagement in helping out at these events. I have been posting stories in social media that seem to be getting a lot of views. I will post the Climate Survey again.
- Vice President of Residential Affairs
 - I spoke with Quinn and a professor of mine is working on a trial for a new way of grading. Moving away from ABCD. For Thanksgiving, we will have a dinner. I have confirmed an assistant Ava!
- Senate Chair
 - We have been asked to move the tables after our meetings. So please stay back. We will be proposing our amendments after Thanksgiving Break.
- Chief of Staff
 -

Open Agenda

Eleanor: Any last call for Amendments?

Ty: Snacks

Noah K: Noah Strathman did great as a replacement for an intramural game.

Ty: My professor is working on changing the way grading. The way she does it is everything is revisable. You can keep doing it until you learn the content.

Lili: What are your next steps?

Ty: Speaking to the Provost.

Carli: I want to reiterate in two meetings from now Eleanor will not be the Senate Chair. I will run the meeting so that a Senate Chair can be assigned and voted in. I want to discuss a BIPOC Senator and work to get this bill passed. Caleb mentioned Teams, please be sure to engage with any message that anyone puts out there. Does anyone have questions they want me to take to President Cornish?

Caleb: Is anyone interested in doing something for campus climate survey?

Rishabh: Just remember about the academic freedom in terms of what Ty you are talking about.

Eleanor: How do we feel about the speaker's list?

Rishabh: I think that the speaker's list is necessary and it would be good to keep uniform. Maybe we can use a sub-speaker list.

Joslyn: I agree but for the guest speakers it's hard to keep to one point.

Nikki: It may be helpful to have when there is a situation where sub speaker list can be put in place.

Utkarsh: I was going to say the same thing.

Lili: I think the speaker's list is important but going back and forth in points is repetitive.

Noah K: Would it be possible to add a point in an extended conversation? If you know you have two or three points maybe say something that excuses you to this.

Carli: No redundancy. The beauty of the speaker list is that it needs to be straight to the point.

Rishabh: That is what I was going to say.

Ty: Is a sub-speaker listed in the Constitution?

Eleanor: Not yet

Asata: There is a meeting regarding the Accessibility Bill. Please come.

Eva: Is there a way to take away your name to remove redundancy?

Sarah: I guess back in the day meetings used to run long. So a speakers list was put to keep things straight to the point and not run meetings long. But this can be changed if we want. If you look at Robert's Rules it goes more into depth about this.

Eleanor: Some things that may be the reason for some of this are biases and past experiences that make the speaker list what it is.

Rishabh: Maybe we could do a motion to start a sub-speakers list.

Eleanor: We want a speaker list still throughout.

Nikki motions to adjourn the meeting, motion passes.

Adjournment 9:02 PM